Safety Talk: Fire Prevention
- Install smoke alarms in every room, outside each area and on every level of the office. For the best protection, interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the office. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make sure everyone can hear the sound of the smoke alarms.
- Have a fire escape plan. Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible, and a meeting place outside. Practice your escape plan twice a year.
- When the smoke alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Replace cracked and damaged electrical cords.
- Use extension cords for temporary wiring only.
- Call a qualified person when you experience electrical problems such as melted cables, discolored walls and warm outlets, flickering lights or when you experience a burning smell.
- If you smoke, smoke outside.
- Wherever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays.
- Never smoke in a building where oxygen is used.
- Keep matches and lighters in a safe place.