Relax & Reconnect

De Volkshuijs consists of two self-catering cottages, Sakkie and Saartjie. They are both national monuments, each tastefully decorated and very well equipped.

Contact Details


  • Operating Times Click Here
  • Address Click Here
  • Payment Methods Click Here
  • Cards Accepted Click Here
  • Currencies Accepted Click Here

Business Information


Sakkie Cottage

Whether on a business trip or on vacation, sightseeing or doing sport, at Sakkie you can put up your feet and dip a rusk! With his charming interior decor, Sakkie welcomes guests to instantly relax and feel at home. Hear the distant ringing of church bells, listen to bird song and see the sun shining brightly upon the ivy green door. Sakkie's spacious bedroom has a double bed and two comfortable chairs. White linen and towels are provided. The bathroom has a bath and shower. The living area has two single beds, a dining table with chairs and a flat screen TV with local channels.

Saartjie Cottage

Saartjie is cosy and romantic. The decor embraces simplicity and honest living. Many memories and good times have been shared at the oak wood table with its handmade chairs (from nearby Zuurbraak). Saartjie has a double bedroom with en-suite bathroom (shower only). Crisp white linen and towels are provided. Both cottages have electric blankets and heaters. As with Sakkie, the kitchen of Saartjie is well equipped. The living area is furnished with two single beds, a dining table and a flat screen TV with local channels.


Humble Beginnings

De Volkshuijs tells the story of simple dwellings where farm labourers worked and lived. The cottage named " Sakkie", was built circa 1780, and was at first most probably inhabited by slaves. Slavery was banned during the 1830’s. The cottage "Saartjie" was built circa 1850. Both cottages were declared National Monuments in 1978.

These white washed walls have seen the pleasures and hardships of families living here over many generations. Louisa Plaatjies was born in the cottage, "Sakkie". She later earned a living doing crochet work and passed away on June 16th 1976. A family member, Lydia Plaatjies, stayed in "Saartjie". Lydia did washing for clients and was also sought after for the beautiful fabrics that she dyed. There used to be a third cottage on the other side of "Sakkie". It was here that the seamstress, Hannie Pietersen, stayed. (This information was kindly supplied by Joany Dyers, born Plaatjies)

Stormy Years

During the years following the proclamation of the Group Areas Act in 1957, these families were moved to another neighbourhood and the deserted cottages fell to ruins. The ant heap plaster came off in batches, leaving the raw bricks exposed to the elements. Damaged became the walls that were over centuries washed with lime and crushed shells. Down came the debarked timber rafters. Down came the reed roofs.

Humbly Restored

A lover of vernacular architecture, Mr J de Waal, bought what was left of the cottages and restored them using mostly traditional methods. Unfortunately Hannie’s cottage collapsed during the restoration process. Only the oven remained to this day, although the outlines of the foundation can still partly be seen. In 1998 the cottages were sold to the present owners. The courtyards and new interior amenities were added in accordance with the regulations of the National Monuments Council.

At De Volkshuijs, guests can now share in the history and humble living that the cottages provided over centuries.



Nearby Places

Blog Posts