Cliff Lodge is located in De Kelders, in the heart of the beautiful Overberg region just two hours from Cape Town.
Things to do in the Cape Overberg
- Explore the spectacular Klipgat Cave, which is a short walk from Cliff Lodge. This cave was under water twice in its recent history due to changing climatic conditions. Middle Stone Age people occupied the cave about 60 000 to 50 000 years ago when the sea level was much lower, and the coast was 3 - 7km away. The remains left by these people are amongst the earliest in the world belonging to modern man. During the later Stone Age 2 000 years ago, early herders (Khoekhoe) also inhabited the cave. They left stone and bone artifacts, ornaments and remains of the animals they ate. Some of the earliest pottery in South Africa was also found in the cave.
- Discover the wonders of our Cape fynbos with a visit to a local Fynbos farm.
- Walking trails including the Duiwelsgat hiking trail from Gansbaai to De Kelders (7km) which runs along the cliffs. There are many interesting trails in the surrounding area ranging from short, easy walks to longer hikes.
- Enjoy a horse ride through the fynbos or along the beach.
- Go whale watching or shark cage diving.
- Enjoy the phenomenal bird life. Less than an hour away is Cape L'Agulhas (Cape of Needles) - the southernmost tip of Africa, where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet. The lighthouse is the second oldest working lighthouse in South Africa.
- Explore the quaint Moravian Mission town of Elim, which has a magnificent thatched church that boasts the oldest working clock in S.A. One of the last of the working water-mills of the Cape is also in Elim.
- Visit Danger Point Lighthouse, the scene of one of the most famous shipwrecks in history, that of the HMT Birkenhead.
- Caledon - spa, hot-springs and casino - is an hour's drive away.
- Perfect for a cold day. There are a number of golf courses only a short drive away.
- Enjoy a leisurely boat trip down the Stanford river, or visit the brewery, dairy and wine farm near this quaint village.
- Pamper yourself with a variety of massage treatments such as aromatherapy, reflexology and shiatsu. (Pre-booking is advised)
Located on the cliffs of De Kelders in Gansbaai, there sure are quite a lot of interesting things to do at Cliff Lodge. Contact Cliff Lodge today and find out more!