Welcome to the next chapter in Gansbaai’s town marketing - Xplorio Gansbaai’s first ever Town Explorer!
The beautiful little village of Stanford, situated at the foot of the Klein River Mountains is fast becoming a favourite holiday destination amongst those planning to head to the Overberg. With an array of different things to do and sights to see, everyone knows Stanford to be a tranquil and welcoming countryside. But other than that not much is known about the village. Here are 10 things we bet you didn’t know about Stanford:
1. Stanford is the only town in the Overstrand declared a Heritage Site.
2. You can find almost 200 different bird species in and around Stanford.
3. 30 of the above mentioned bird species are part of the 68 bird species endemic to South Africa.
4. Stanford is home to the shortest river (as the crow flies) in the world, the Klein River.
5. The village has its own cheese farm where international award winning Gruyere cheese is made, named Kleinrivier Cheese & Dairy.
6. The village of Stanford was established in 1857 on the farm Kleine Riviers Vallei.
7. Stanford brews its own beer at the micro-brewery at Birkenhead Brewery and Walker Bay Wines located just outside of town.
8. Stanford holds the title of 3rd most preserved village in the Western Cape.
9. The upkeeping of the village is due to the efforts of the Stanford Conservation Trust which was formed in 1992. They aim to “enhance the natural and built scenic beauty of Stanford” and “to protect and conserve the environmental and heritage resources in and around Stanford for future generations”.
10. Stanford has its own bird sanctuary at the estuary to the Klein River Lagoon.
So there you have it. Armed with a list of little known facts about Stanford you can baffle your friends and family with your knowledge of the village. It also gives you and your guests a whole list of new things to explore and discover in South Africa’s favourite village.
Also have a look at why Stanford is South Africa's favourite village: INFOGRAPHIC