Welcome to the next chapter in Gansbaai’s town marketing - Xplorio Gansbaai’s first ever Town Explorer!
Travelling over the Houw Hoek Pass and heading down into the valleys, you can tell that there is something special about the small town on your left. So we’ve put together a list of quick facts you might not know about Botrivier:
- Botrivier was a popular spot for bartering butter which lead to the naming of the town and river after the Afrikaans word for butter, “botter”.
- The Beaumont Wine Estate is home to one of the oldest working water-mills in the area.
- Coincidently, it is also one of the oldest wine estates in the area with the original farm established in 1700s.
- Botrivier holds one of the only Wine Routes established within a protected biodiversity zone in the world.
- The town became quite popular due to the television series “Nommer Asseblief” which premiered in 1979.
- Botrivier holds over 16 wine estates in the surrounding area.
- The historical Botrivier Hotel was built in the early 1890s.
- The history of Botrivier goes back to the 1700s with the establishment of Compagnes Drift.
- The bustling town plays host to a variety of popular Overberg Events including Barrels and Beards, the Botrivier Spring Festival and Botrivier Open Gardens.
- The town offers a historical walk which takes you through the towns historical features.