Welcome to the next chapter in Gansbaai’s town marketing - Xplorio Gansbaai’s first ever Town Explorer!
In the Eastern corner of the Overberg where it meets the Klein Karoo, you will find the bustling village of Barrydale. Known to many for its beautiful surrounding landscapes and hospitality, here are some things you might not know about Barrydale:
- In earlier years, the area of Barrydale was known as Kannaland.
- The nearby Tradouw Pass’s name comes from a Khoisan word meaning ‘Women’s Path’.
- The town was names in honour of the Barry family.
- The town’s Dutch Reformed Church was completed in 1877.
- The Barrydale Municipality was established in 1921.
- Barrydale is home to South Africa’s first pagoda, built in 2000.
- The very famous Ronnie’s Sex Shop can be found just outside of Barrydale, on Route 62.
- The nearby Warmwaterberg Hot Springs holds pools with temperatures that vary between 25° and 42°.
- The Tradouw Pass was built by Thomas Bain and officially opened in 1873.
- The Karoo Art Hotel holds a bar, restaurant and open-air Bioscope Theatre.