Regular air conditioning service can be compared to regular car maintenance: you can pay a little bit for routine service or wait and pay a hefty bill for major repairs.
Many people do wait until their air conditioner is making a strange noise, isn`t running properly or severely damaged by rust before they call for service. But did you know that even if your air conditioner seems to be running smoothly, it can lose about 5% of its operational efficiency every year?
Studies show that with regular servicing a unit will maintain up to 95% of its original efficiency. This means that the cost of a regular service is quickly recovered in savings on your monthly electricity bill and in reduced repair costs. A properly serviced air conditioner will also do a better job of dehumidifying your home or office.
To keep your warranty running and valid, an annual service is required.
What does a regular service entail?
An air conditioning technician will look at and listen to your air conditioner closely. At minimum the things he will do will include:
- Clean the condensing unit.
- Clean all filters inside and disinfect.
- Clean the evaporator coils.
- Treat the evaporator coils with anti-corrosion treatment to minimize corrosion.
- Check the amp draw of the compressor and all components.
- Oil the fan motor (if required).
- Check the belts are all tight and well adjusted.
- Check the system operating pressures against the manufacturers' specifications.
- Check the refrigerant level.
- Check the thermostat and sensors.
- Tighten all electrical terminals.
- Check ductwork for leaks and damage.
- Check and test condensate drains and trays.
- Check all safety devices.
Hope this answers your questions about air conditioning servicing. Should you have any queries, questions or need to make an appointment for a service, contact us.