A ceremonial Blue Flag hoisting ceremony was held on Friday, 2 December 2022 at Castle Beach in Pearly Beach to mark the beginning of the Blue Flag season in the Overstrand.
Overstrand libraries are set to re-open on Monday
All libraries in the Overstrand will re-open on Monday, 24 August 2020, after being closed for almost five months because of the coronavirus lockdown.
The temporary hours are Mondays to Fridays from 10:00 to 15:30. The shorter times ensure that the necessary sanitising can be done for your safety. Libraries are closed on Saturdays. Hermanus and Mt Pleasant Libraries will have a lunch break between 13:00 - 13:45.
Library personnel will work at a 50% capacity and limited services are offered. Only a certain amount of people will be allowed in the libraries for a maximum of 30 minutes; this will ensure that all have an opportunity to visit the library.
Members must please be mindful of the precautions that need to be taken as there are lots of changes we’ve had to make in order to meet regulations. We ask patrons to please be patient during this time.
Precautionary Covid-19 safety measures:
- Library services are limited to borrowing and returning of books and other library materials.
- The number of people allowed access to the libraries will be limited (the number of people will depend on the floor space of the particular library).
- Time spent in the library will be limited to a maximum of 30 minutes and no browsing will be allowed.
- All returned books and library material will be quarantined - this might cause a delay in availability.
- Study and reading sections remain closed and patrons will not be allowed to read newspapers or magazines in the library.
- All children services remain closed.
- Limited access to computers/internet.
- The public can continue to drop their books and other library materials (sealed in bags with their membership detail) in bins/ boxes placed at entrances to respective libraries.
- Should the Western Cape computer system, that is used when issuing and returning books from municipal library users, be offline due to loadshedding, etc, no new books can be issued.
Book online and collect
Members can make use of the Online Library Catalogue to see the availability of books and to find out if the library has a specific title you want to read. Library books can also be renewed on this platform.
Go to the Municipal website www.overstrand.gov.za. At the bottom of the page, click on Web Links, then click on ‘libraries’ and SLIMS to request library materials. Alternatively, go to wc.slims.gov.za/desktop/desktopwcheplhe.
Requests can also be sent via email to the chief librarian of your local library. Details required include library card number, name and surname, identity number, physical address and contact number.
Library staff will collate all books and other library material and phone or email patrons, within two days of the request, with arrangements for collection. Please keep in mind that books might be in quarantine and not available.
Covid-19 safety protocols:
All members must please adhere to the Covid-19 precautionary measures, such as hand sanitizing, social distancing and the wearing of face masks.
Kindly note that all members that enter the library need to fill in their details into a register and that they will be screened with a digital thermometer
Hermanus Library - firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 028 313 8077 / 8078
Mt Pleasant Library - email@example.com. Tel: 028 313 8015 / 8984
Hawston Library - firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 028 315 1126 / 1402
Kleinmond Library - email@example.com. Tel: 028 271 8495 / 8430/ 8485
Gansbaai Library - firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 028 384 8346
Stanford Library - email@example.com. Tel: 028 341 8506
Buffeljachtbaai Mini Library - firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 028 384 8346
Eluxolweni/Pearly Beach Mini Library - email@example.com. Tel: 028 384 8346
Betty's Bay Library - firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 028 272 9263 / 028 271 8494