If you're a resident or even an annual visitor to Gansbaai, you’ve probably noticed a tortoise or two crossing the road...
The town of Grabouw situated in the green Elgin Valley is the first to welcome you to the Overberg as you head in from Cape Town, and what a welcome it is! The rolling hills of orchards and vineyards that line the meandering road through the Valley bear the fruits for which the area has become well-known for and creates a sense of calm with a touch of adventure.
Home to an impressive bouquet of wine estates and fully stocked farm stalls, the Elgin Valley is a haven for foodies and wine connoisseurs. The unique and exciting flavours created from the fresh produce from the Valley will certainly delight plenty and fuel you up for the adventure that lies ahead. The area of Grabouw and the Elgin Valley plays host to some of the best hiking and mountain biking trails in the country along with other exciting activities like quad biking, horse riding and canopy tours. Be sure to stop by for some adventure in apple and pear country next time you visit the Overberg!
But don’t take our word for it – have a look for yourself:
- Enjoy amazing walks in the vineyards at Almenkerk Wine Estate.
- Relax and experience the beautiful combination wine tasting from the top class Almenkerk vines.
- Enjoy Ziplining with Cape Canopy Tours.
- Bring the team and enjoy fun team building activities in the breathtakingly beautiful Cape fynbos panoramas and mountainscapes.
- Enjoy a dip in your private indoor pool at Elgin Valley Inn.
- Take a walk through the picturesque orchards, olive groves and cool climate vineyards.
- Pamper yourself at the Elgin Valley Inn Spa with a variety of facials, massages, manicures and pedicures.
- Guests hiking at Harold Porter Botanical Gardens with Gantouw Tours & Excursions.
- Take an educational guided hike and learn about the fascinating Biodiversity Ecology, Geology and Paleo-History of the Western Capes Fynbos Biome.
- Come see their wide range of award-winning local wines at Houw Hoek Farm Stall.
- Picnic baskets are also prepared for a relaxed day in the country.
- Relax in the coffee shop and enjoy an excellent meal in the peace and quiet of this tranquil mountain setting.
- Come and experience the beautiful grounds of Houw Hoek Inn.
- Enjoy a stay in one of the 52 beautifully appointed rooms on this perfect combination of beauty, peace and modern comfort.
- Nature at its best at Iona wine farm.
- Enjoy views overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in the South at the Iona Wine Farm.
- The best freshly baked loaves of bread daily.
- Peregrines perfect pastry pies, filled with generous fillings.
- The perfect cup of coffee to enjoy with friends or on the road.
- Alfresco breakfast and dining at Villa Exner.
- Seasonally themed dining and gourmet European Dishes.
- Views over the swimming pool at Wildekrans Country House.
- Enjoy leisurely walks through the grounds or hiking trails through the area.
- See the private art collection of South African art and sculpture which includes the works of artists Deborah Bell, Wilma Cruise, and Guy du Toit.
- Quad biking adventures with Nature Discovery Tours.
- Adventure quad biking trails for the more experienced.
- A variety of quad biking team building experiences.