EXTREME HEAT, HEAVY SWELLS WARNING FOR THE WEEKEND
Rough seas, very hot conditions and high temperatures are expected for the weekend (Friday, 21/01/2022 - Sunday, 23/01/2022).
The National Sea Rescue Institute has warned of rough seas, heavy swells and big surf due to the recent Southern ocean storm and tail-end of the full moon spring tide.
Bathers, anglers, paddlers, boaters, beach walkers are urged to be cautious.
Please stay out of the sun during the heat of the day and drink plenty of water, especially when exercising or working outdoors.
In this hot weather, please be extra cautions when starting a fire for braaing, lighting a candle or paraffin lamp. Avoid making fires when there is a high fire index and when conditions are favourable for a veldfire. The ground and plants are very dry and even a small spark, if it lands on the right spot, can have catastrophic consequences.
Keep emergency numbers close at hand:
• NSRI Hermanus (Station 17) 082 990 5967
• NSRI Kleinmond (Station 42) 063 699 2765
• Hermanus Public Protection (HPP) 028 312 4900
• Onrus Vermont SRA 079 469 8606
• Overstrand Fire & Rescue Services 028 312 2400
• Overstrand Control Room (Municipal infrastructure issues) 028 313 8111
• For general enquiries such as municipal accounts, progress with the approval of building plans etc, can contact the OVERSTRAND SWITCHBOARD number on 028 313 8000 - alternatively phone Kleinmond Administration 028 271 8400; Hermanus Administration 028 313 8000; Stanford Administration 028 341 8500; Gansbaai Administration 028 384 8300.