Butternut Soup Recipe
Here's a simple and easy recipe for butternut soup!
• 1 medium-sized butternut squash
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley or chives), or toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard them. Place the squash halves on a baking sheet, cut side up.
3. Drizzle the olive oil over the cut sides of the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the squash is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
4. While the squash is roasting, heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
5. Once the squash is cooked, let it cool slightly. Scoop out the flesh from the roasted squash and add it to the pot with the sautéed onion and garlic.
6. Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth and add the dried thyme. Stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
7. Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. If using a regular blender, work in batches and be careful when blending hot liquids.
8. Return the soup to the pot and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Heat it gently if needed.
9. Serve the butternut soup hot, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh herbs, or toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious homemade butternut soup!