Cape Agulhas Tourism Competition Week 2
• First Prize: Two Nights Stay for Two Guests - Blue Sky Guest House (including breakfast)
• Second Prize: One Case of Wine - Strandveld Vineyards
How it Works:
• Each week, for the next nine weeks, there will be a new question about a Cape Agulhas town
• All you have to do is read the mini-blog for clues
• You can enter once, or once a week, up to you
• Each week two correct entries will go into the final draw
Inspiration born from the sun, stars and South African poet CJ Langenhoven’s newspaper article on sundials, resulted in Danie du Toit building Napier’s most iconic landmark in 1965.
It took him 18 months to complete the meticulous markings for each minute, based solely on his observations of the shadow on the dial. His sundial hour-line calculator explains the corrections between the sundial’s time and standard time, determining the time within an accuracy of 30 seconds.
Question 2 - Where is the only vertical sundial in South Africa situated?
Answer to Question 1 - The Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet at the southernmost tip of Africa.
Read more about South Africa’s biggest vertical sundial and the history of Napier here.