The 'Wall Test' For Good Posture
Proper posture can prevent pain and injury, says Mayo Clinic. To check if you have proper posture, Mayo suggests the "wall test."
Here's what it involves:
1. Stand so the back of your head, shoulder blades and buttocks touch the wall. Your heels should be 5 to 10 cms apart.
2. Place a flat hand behind the small of your back. You should be able to slide your hand between your lower back and the wall.
3. If there's too much space behind your lower back, draw your belly button toward your spine.
4. If there's too little space behind your lower back, arch your back so your hand can slide behind you.
5. Walk away from the wall while holding proper posture.
6. Return to the wall to check whether you kept the correct posture.