This easy-to-make savoury tart is always a hit. Just a pity removing the snoek bones is such a ‘schlep’. Serve it as a family supper dish (using pre-cooked haddock instead of snoek, if preferred), as the main course for a ladies luncheon, or make it your Saturday lunchtime standby.
You will need:
- 200 g smoked snoek, flaked and skinned and bones removed
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) hot milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (reserve 2 T for topping)
- 4 T (60 ml) melted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1⁄2 t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s White Sauce Powder
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 200 g smooth cottage cheese
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 T (30 ml) reserved breadcrumbs
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat to 180°C.
- Soak the snoek in the hot milk skin side up while measuring the remaining ingredients.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over the base of a 25 – 30 cm pie plate or porcelain flan dish. Or use 5 smaller individual dishes.
- Sauté the onions in the butter with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning until golden and soft. Sprinkle over and mix in the White Sauce Powder and lemon juice. Add the flaked snoek and 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) of the soaking milk to the onion mixture.
- Beat the eggs with the cottage cheese and Cheese Sauce. Add the fish and onion mixture and stir in. Dish into the prepared pie plate. Toss the grated cheese with the reserved crumbs and sprinkle over the tart.
- Bake a large tart for 35 minutes, 20 - 25 is long enough for the individual tarts.
- Serve with a tossed salad and our Peach Apricot Chutney.