The world’s first known waffle recipe appeared way back in the 14th century, as a set of instructions written down by a Frenchman for his wife. These days however, there are well over a dozen different variants, each with their own ingredients and cooking instructions. Of course, you only need one tried and trusted recipe to perfect this delicacy, so give this one a go and make sure to try it with both sweet and savoury toppings.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups of milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Sift together all dry ingredients.
2. Separate eggs and beat egg whites to soft peak stage.
3. Whisk together milk and egg yolks and add to dry ingredients.
4. Add oil and blend well, then gently fold in egg whites.
5. Pour mixture into hot waffle iron and remove when ready.