Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies
There are two unwritten rules for the perfect chocolate chip cookie experience. One, the cookie has to have a deliciously chewy, chocolaty, melt-in-your-mouth centre. And two, these cookies are best enjoyed with a cold glass of fresh milk. This is comfort food at its best!
• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
• ¾ cup of softened butter
• 1 cup of brown sugar
• ½ cup of white sugar
• 2 tsp. vanilla essence
• 1 whole egg
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 cup of chocolate milk and dark chocolate chips
• a pinch of coarse sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line your baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
2. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
3. Take a second bowl and add the softened butter, then using a hand blender beat until the butter is super creamy (about a minute).
4. Add the white and brown sugar and beat again until deliciously fluffy and light.
5. Whisk together the whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla essence, then stir it through the sugar and butter mixture.
6. Mix through the flour and bicarbonate of soda, add a pinch of salt and then stir through the chocolate chips until thoroughly combined. The dough should be quite thick.
7. Using a tablespoon, scoop the cookie dough onto the lined baking tray, one spoonful at a time. Try to keep them the same size so that they will bake evenly and keep some space in-between.
8. Give the leftover cookie dough to your favourite kid. Or keep it for yourself.
9. Pop the cookies into the oven and bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are slightly brown and toasted.
10. Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack and leave to cool.