Recipe: Cheese and Chutney Roosterkoek Braaibroodjies
When it comes to a braai - there’s two must-have accompaniments besides the meat: roosterkoeke and braaibroodjies! In fact, most people would say that these humble but crucial additions are the best part of the meal. And with this cheese and chutney roosterkoek braaibroodjie recipe, we’re giving you the best of both worlds. It’s crunchy, cheesy, gooey, and absolutely delicious.
• 500g Cake Flour
• 1 tsp (5ml) Sugar
• 1 tsp (5ml) Salt
• 10g Instant Yeast
• 25g Margarine
• 20g Basil Leaves
• 3 tbsp (45ml) Olive Oil*
• Salt and Pepper (to taste)
• ¼ cup (60ml) Fruit Chutney
• 1 Onion (thinly sliced)
• 2 Tomatoes (thinly sliced)
• 1 cup (125g) Mozzarella (grated)
• 1 cup (125g) Cheddar (grated)
• 2 discs (160g) Feta (crumbled)
*Olive oil is preferred. But if you don’t have - you can use normal oil.
Pro tip: If time is not on your side - you can purchase OK prepared dough or ready-made roosterkoek.
1. Mix flour, salt, and sugar.
2. Add yeast to lukewarm water.
3. Rub margarine into flour mixture with your fingertips until consistency is crumby.â€‹
4. Stir yeast in water.
5. Pour into dry mixture and stir to combine.
6. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
7. Place in bowl and cover with wet cloth.
8. Let dough rise for +/- 1 hour.
9. Once risen - divide dough.
10. Place in braai grid and flip when ready.
11. Braai until golden brown.
1. Chop basil, mix with oil, and set aside.
2. Slice roosterkoek in 2.
3. Add cheese, onion, tomato, salt and pepper, feta, and chutney.
4. Close it up and take it back to the braai for +/- 10 minutes.