Gansbaai Golf Club : On Par with nature's green to fit all players to a Tee !
In Gansbaai, golf terms such as birdie, albatross and greens get a totally different meaning when one aspires to score an ace. The Gansbaai Golf Club boasts one of the most scenic courses in the country with an all-round sea view amidst an abundance of exquisite fynbos and wildlife. It could (maybe?) only get better if the variety of tortoises, birds, buck and snakes that still freely roam here would act as caddies . .?
The 9 hole course and comfortable clubhouse with adjacent hall and squash court was built in 1985 and gradually expanded to 18 Tee's to also include 18 hole competitions. It still lures famous international and former Springbok players to regularly come test their swings and things such as skills, bravery and focus against nature's own handicaps. Pofadders and birdies like feisty kiewiete protecting their nests, as well as the fiery Southeaster and Northwester winds that often target this area, are some of the biggest natural obstacles that golfers have to brave.
Built on an elevated stretch of indigenous coastal fynbos overlooking the sea in the picturesque Kleinbaai residential area, the Gansbaai Golf Club is the most southern course in Africa and world-renowned for its spectacular views and scenic setting. The cosy clubhouse with a cash bar and outdoor braai-area is a popular social gathering place for members and visitors alike and the spacious hall is a favourite venue for dance parties and social events. Small wonder that many of the club's 362 permanent members are foreigners who annually flee here from icy European winters between August and December to enjoy sunny weather and outdoor-activities in a spot where nature still calls the shots - even on a golf course!
What you need to know:
- Both the Golf Club and the squash court are open daily from 08h00 to18h00 and visitors are welcome;
- The Club Hall can be booked for functions;
- Golf competitions are held on Wednesday and Saturday mornings from 08h00 (18 holes) and on Friday afternoons from 14h00 (9 holes);
- Course Rating : 70 (both men and ladies);
- Contact details for bookings: +27 28 384 1441 or Captain Johan Coetzee at +27 82 878 0534;
- Address: Perlemoen Street, Kleinbaai, Gansbaai, Western Cape, SA.