Here's a few personal Safety Tips for the Holidays...
- Advise Secma if you are going away and ensure that your key holders details are given to Secma, in case of an emergency
- Inform your key holder and neighbours of your holiday plans so that they can keep an eye on your property
- If you have newspaper deliveries, ask a friend or neighbour to collect it and your post. A bulging post box is a dead giveaway that you are not at home
- House sitters should be informed how to use your alarm correctly
- Double check that you have locked and secured all windows and doors before leaving home
- Ensure that all your outside locks are a minimum of four lever locks or double cylinder security locks
- Never leave a key in the inside of an outer door which has glass panels or glass near the door lock
- Having security gates fitted on outer doors is a highly effective security measure that gives you an extra line of defence
- Sliding doors can be secured simply by placing a piece of timber cut to size in the sliding rail. Make sure that sliding doors cannot be lifted vertically
- Outside beams, full fencing and sturdy gates are a good deterrent
- Have good exterior lighting, preferably on a timer
- Do not leave tools like ladders or spades outside, as they can be used to break into your house
- Ensure that you have Secma Security signage on your house, it also helps to discourage burglars
Happy Holidays Everyone!