For the base:
- 65 g butter
- 110 g white flour
- 125 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 30 ml water
For the filling:
- 45 g butter
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 punnet of button mushrooms, sliced
- 20 g white flour
- 2 large eggs
- half a cup of cream
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and rub together using your hands until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Mix through the grated cheese and the water and combine to form a dough.
- Grease a 20cm flan dish then press the dough onto the base and sides.
- Pop the dish into the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and blind-bake the base for about 8 minutes or until golden.
For the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat a pan, add the butter and oil and once the butter has melted, add the chopped onion.
- Fry the onion until soft and golden, then add the sliced mushrooms.
- Fry for about 5 minutes then stir through the flour and cook it through – 2 minutes should do the trick.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, whisk together the eggs and cream.
- Stir through half the grated cheese.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, season to taste and stir through the nutmeg.
- Pour the quiche custard onto the pre-baked base and sprinkle the remaining cheddar on top.
- Pop the quiche into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
OK FOOD TIP
If you’re craving some meat, fry up half a packet of chopped up streaky bacon with the onions and mushrooms