Recipe: Delicious Spinach & Potato Mash
- 2 bunches spinach; washed and chopped
- 2 medium onions; chopped
- 1 medium green pepper; cleaned and chopped
- 5 medium potatoes; peeled and chopped
- 4 cups boiling water
- Oil and/or butter for frying
- Aromat for seasoning
- Wash and rinse the spinach very well until the water is clear and no more sand remains on the spinach.
- Remove and discard the bottom of spinach leaf stems, and chop remaining leaves fine.
- Place spinach in a large pot, pour the boiling water on top and close the lid. Switch the plate on high and bring to the boil.
- Clean and chop the onions, green pepper and potatoes.
- Add potatoes to the spinach and close the lid tightly. You may place a heavy weight on the lid until the spinach starts settling in the pot.
- Turn the heat down to medium and boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Drain very well until no water remains.
- Meanwhile, fry onions and green pepper in a pan with oil and/or butter until lightly browned.
- Add onions, green pepper and pan juices to spinach and mash roughly with Aromat to taste. Do not add any other seasonings.
- Serve hot with putu or rice.
Contact OK Foods Gansbaai for more of out mouth-watering recipes!